I have tried several recipes using quinoa and never liked any of them until this one. It is important to rinse this grain very, very well to get rid of the bitter taste. This is an adapted Moosewood recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup raw quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water (I prefer vegetable stock) or 3 cups vegetable stock (I prefer vegetable stock)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse the quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer under running water; set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add in the onions and salt; cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes--stir every now and then.
- Add in the drained quinoa, potatoes, bell pepper, coriander, cumin, oregano, pepper, vegetable stock, and tomatoes; stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini; cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the lemon juice; stir to combine.