Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Made this the other night for supper and my family just loved it. It is just as much muss and fuss as making tacos, but it is a very good variation.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package low-sodium taco seasoning, with 40% less sodium
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium skillet, cook ground beef and onions over medium high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water, simmer 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine refried beans and taco sauce.
- In an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish, layer 1/2 the bean mixture, 1/2 the beef mix, 2 cups chips and one cup of the cheese. Top with remaining bean mixture and beef mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining tortilla chips and cheese.
- Return to oven, bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with lettuce and tomatoes.
I already had a taco casserole recipe that I found on this website but this one intrigued me! I only used 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef, 1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix & 1/2 cup taco sauce. I also ended up only needing 1 1/4 cups crushed tortilla chips; same amount with the cheese-I felt that got the taste across without sacrificing taste. So I used 1 cup chips & 1 cup cheese in the casserole & sprinkled 1/4 cup chips & 1/4 cup cheese on top after baking it for 20 min. Worked out great & tasted wonderful. This will be my new taco casserole! Thank you!