Easy Taco Casserole
photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- 1 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (Rotel)
- 14 ounces pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 10 ounces tortilla chips
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Brown meat, onion and garlic in large skillet until no pink remains and onion is clear. Drain grease.
- Add spices, tomatoes, beans and corn and mix well.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until some of the liquid has evaporated. You want a little liquid but not alot- like a sloppy joe mixture.
- In an 8x8 greased pan crush a handful of chips and place on the bottom of the pan, adding more chips until you have a good layer. **** I like to get it as dry as possible here so that it holds together like a lasagna. PLEASE use your taste and judgment here and make it as dry or as liquid as you like. :)
- Layer meat mixture on top of chips.
- Crush some more chips and place on top of meat. Press down on chip layer to draw some moisture into the top layer of chips.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I followed Mama's instructions and reduced the liquid. After cooking, I found this to be a bit dry, so I'll not reduce the liquid as suggested next time. This is not a hot or spicy dish, so don't be afraid of it if you aren't a pepper lover! I am a pepper lover, and served mine with green salsa and jalapenos. The salsa helped with the dryness due to my liquid reduction, and the peppers gave this the added kick for me! Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag!
Great way to use a pound of ground turkey, and I nearly always have the ingredients on hand. The guys absolutely loved this, and gave it 5 stars. My son wants me to put in his cookbook so he can find it and make it when he goes back to school. I also thought the flavors were great, but that it was a little dry. Perhaps next time I'll add another can of tomatoes. Thanks for posting Mama!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Proud Zaar original member! Very disappointed with the new site.