Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sweet pastry for single pie shell or tarts
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cubed (or use salted butter and omit salt)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt (if using) into a bowl.
- Toss butter into flour mixture to coat pieces. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour, working it until you have created a coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and vanilla. Whisk together, then add gradually to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix with hands until dough forms a ball.
- Knead the dough to make it smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough and shape to pie pan or cut out rounds for tarts.