Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
An easy to make fresh strawberry pie.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry gelatin powder (recommend Jello)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Bring sugar, water and cornstarch to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in strawberry gelatin until dissolved.
- Remove from heat; chill 2 hours.
- Arrange strawberries in pastry shell and pour gelatin mixture over.
- Cover and chill 2-4 hours.
- Serve pie with whipped cream if desired.
My family enjoys Shoney's Strawberry pies, but they are not inexpensive. I tried this recipe and they went NUTS over it! I made 2 more the next day and 2 more the day after that! They can't get enough. I even substituted splenda and sugar-free jello just to see how it would work for diabetics....it was fabulous....my family didn't even notice! Definitely a winner at my house!
We have always called this recipe the "Big Boy" Strawberry Pie, like they serve in the Big Boy Restaurants! I have been making this pie for years! Always get compliments on the taste and it looks so pretty. Make sure you let your jello/cornstarch mixture cool before you add to pie. You don't want too "cook" your strawberries. I always leave my berries whole unless they are way huge, then I may cut in half. Another hint (I learned from my mother in law) is spread some softned cream cheese on bottom of pie crust before adding berries and gel. It will stop the berries/jello from bleeding thru and soaking the pie crust. I may use 4 oz cream cheese softned and add 2 T or even 1/4 c powdered sugar. Mix together and spread on crust before adding pie filling. Works well with any uncooked fruit pie. Who wouldn't like a little sweetened cream cheese with their strawberries. :)
Just had to do a review for this pie. I have been making this same pie for years and it is DH's favorite. He will give a stranger the shirt off of his back, but when I make one of these...he will hide it from the kids!!!!