Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
photo by Tiggrr
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- Toss all ingredients together& scrape into pie shell.
- If covering the filling with pastry, moisten the edge of pie shell; cover with pastry top.
- Trim, leaving 3/4 inch overhang; fold overhang under pastry rim.
- Seal& flute edge.
- Whish the yolk of 1 egg with 1 tbsp water& brush over pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar& cut 4 steam vents in the centre.
- OR cover filling with a lattice of pastry strips.
- OR cover filling with the crumble mixture from recipe#91390.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch drips) on the bottom rack of a preheated 425F oven.
- Place pie on rack above& bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F& bake until golden with filling bubbling, about 55 to 70 minutes, shielding the edges with foil if browning too quickly.
- Let cool completely on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe for Christmas day. It looked absolutely beautiful once made. But when everyone took a bite, it was wincing all around the table because it was so sour! I followed the recipe to a T. I had to use frozen strawberries and frozen rhubarb due to they aren't in season right now. I let both thaw completely before mixing with other ingredients. There was one person out of 8 of us who really liked it. He ended up taking a couple pieces home. Sad to say, the rest went in the garbage! :( I think the recipe just needed more sugar or something. Sorry for the review.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In the words of Tracy Byrd, "I'm from the country & I like it that way"!! On May 1, 2008 my husband and I started a new adventure. We'll be living in a 37 foot RV while our new home is under construction. Its out in the country on a dead end dirt road with lots of trees. For the next 4 months or so, most meals will be cooked on the BBQ and life will be full of challenges! We love spending quality time with our friends & family - especially the grandkids!! The photo is 4 generations - my 84 year old mother, myself, my daughter & my youngest granddaughter - taken at the end of 2006. I've participated in many contests & events here on Zaar but this is the first banner that I've posted. My thanks to Dreamgoddess for hosting the contest & SusieD for the banner design! <img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg">