Boo L's Note:
A lovely warming sauce; a good sinus-clearer; or just some proper traditional Italian cooking! This sauce announces itself at full volume, because of the chillies, but is also full of flavour. It is pantry food - a sauce that can be thrown together from ingredients you can keep in the cupboard for months at a time. This is the simplest recipe for it I have found, but is still delicious. When condensed down there may not seem to be much sauce, but you want to treat this like pesto - a small quantity swirled through lots of pasta, rather than drowning in sauce. If you try to split this only between two you may find it too rich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2While retaining the oil, chop the anchovies finely, so that when included they will dissolve into the sauce.
- 3Blanch the olives by covering with cold water, bringing to the boil and draining. Then crush them with a rolling pin.
- 4Rinse the capers in water to remove the brine (or salt).
- 5The sauce:.
- 6Gently melt the onions, garlic and chillies in a generous amount of olive oil until the onions are translucent and begin to turn golden.
- 7Add the anchovy fillets, and the oil they were kept in; the olives; and the capers. Continue to cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add the tomatoes and a small cup of water. The sauce will need cooking until the anchovies have almost dissolved away, so you may need to add more water later.
- 9Bring the sauce to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
- 12This sauce is best served in a small quantity, mixed thoroughly into a pasta like fusilli that the sauce can "enter" rather than over the top like bolognese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Puttanesca Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 946.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g