Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a kid pleaser-very cheesy and topped with pepperoni. It makes 2 large (9x13) casseroles or 4 small ones; I often divide it in fourths and freeze 3. This originally came from TOH's Quick Cooking.
- Brown ground beef, onion, garlic and seasoning in oil.
- While beef is browning, cook pasta according to the packaging
- Stir in pasta, spaghetti sauce and 3 cups cheese.
- Place mixture in 2 greased 9x13x2 inch baking pans or 4 square pans.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Top with pepperoni.
- Cover and freeze up to 3 months.
- To cook now: Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
- To bake frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, till hot.
Yummy waaaay better than hamburger helper but just as easy. Our 2 year old loved it, too, and he is going though a picky phase. It was nice that it made 2 pans - we had one for supper and I'm bringing one to a church potluck tomorrow. I went basically with the recipe (but I added a bit more pizza seasoning and 2 more garlic cloves) because I wanted to keep it basic for the potluck, but I look forward to trying it again for home. I'll triple the pizza seasoning, put in 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, add some spinach, and use sausage instead of hamburger (or half and half)...maybe some mushrooms and black olives. Just like pizza, there are endless options. Thank you for the recipe! I need some simple standards (my husband is the main cook around here).
This was a huge hit with the family. I had to half the recipe and it still made more than enough for 3 hungry eaters. I added some mild italian sausage, green peppers and onions as additional toppings just like a pizza. I added some leftover pizza sauce to the sauce and my top cheese was provolone which melted wonderfully. We all agreed it was the toppings that made the dish taste like a pizza. Make sure to cook the pasta al dente. Will make this again soon and it will be my next carry in dish at work.
I just thought that it was okay, nothing special. Kind of like a glorified hamburger helper. :-(