Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very versatile recipe that you can change each time you make it from the basic recipe. Serve either over rice in summer or in winter with potatoes that have been jacket baked along side the casserole or with dumplings.....the choice is yours :)
- 750 g lean pork, cubed
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon instant beef stock powder or 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Mix together in a deep casserole dish the first 5 ingredients.
- Cover tightly and and bake for 11/2 - 2 hours at 350'F/180'C.
- Thicken with the cornflour just before serving.
- Add 1 cup of diced celery after casserole has cooked for half an hour.
- Add 1 cup diced red or green peppers ( or a combination of both) after the casserole has cooked for 1 hour.
- Add 1 cup sauteed mushrooms after casserole has been thickened.
- Add dumplings to the unthickened casserole when the meat is nearly cooked. You will need to icrease the water to 2 cups and add an extra teaspoon beef stock powder if you plan to add dumplings.
- Add 1 small tin pineapple pieces at the end of cooking and use the juice to thicken.
Fantastic meal! You said to vary and I did. I used pork tenderloin, added some crushed garlic, a shallot and mushrooms. I cooked it in my small slow cooker. I served it with liguini. I tell you this recipe is worthy of company. It's a keeper; thanks for posting.I made this for Australian/New Zealand RECIPE SWAP September. Rita