Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
If you are looking for a dark chocolate cupcake then these are not for you, they rise simply beautiful and come out just perfect, they' re so easy to make everything is mixed in one bowl with a wooden spoon! --- top these with my Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 egg, slightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup salad oil (use Canola or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (can use 2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 regular size muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, sifted baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (if using); mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- In a two-cup measuring cup or bowl whisk together the milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to the dry ingredients; mix very well with a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (don't overbake!).
- Cool, and frost with favorite chocolate frosting.
These are the first homemade cupcakes I've ever made and they turned out perfect!! I left out the cinnamon and nuts and frosted them with cream cheese frosting and they were delicious! I made these for the guys at work and they couldn't get enough of them. I would recommend making these in a heartbeat!
I am a huge fan of Kittencal's recipes, but this one failed me. First off, calling them 'one bowl' is a little misleading. Technically, one bowl is correct, but you dirty two containers. I also found them to be very dry. I would reduce her suggested cooking time, checking them after 15 minutes. The chocolate buttercream icing that she suggested was the saving grace~ super yummy! I would refrigerate it for a few minutes before applying it to the cupcakes.
After having just made a batch of Kitten's one bowl vanilla cupcakes, I had high hopes for these. I was disappointed. These came out dry and bland. They taste more like an okay chocolate chip muffin than a cupcake.