Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The most simple yet delicious lemon meringue tart.
- 1 (335 g) can condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 (100 g) packettennis biscuits or 1 (100 g) packet coconut biscuits
- 100 g melted butter
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Crush biscuits in food processor or roll in bag with rolling pin until small/fine mixture of crumbs.
- Mix in melted butter and biscuits in large bowl until well coated. Biscuits should be sticky enough to stick together.
- Coat the sides and bottom of an approximately 22cm tart pan with the biscuit mixture.
- Put in fridge to set while you work on the rest of the recipe.
- Mix together condensed milk, egg yellows and lemon juice until well combined.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add half the castor sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Add the rest of the castor sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour lemon mixture into tart pan. Add the stiff egg whites on top and use back of spatula to form peaks and valleys to make cake look decorated.
- Bake in oven on middle shelf for 40 minutes.
- Once cooked, cool in fridge for approximately 2 hours.
- Serve cold.