Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not usually my kind of recipe--I am ordinarily kind of a purist (i.e., I'd rather make REAL key lime pie with REAL key limes)--but this is simply fantastic. My friend who lives in my apartment complex made it and gave me the recipe.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice or 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate crumb pie shell or 1 (6 ounce) package graham cracker pie crusts
- lime zest (optional)
- Beat milk and lime juice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and thickened.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon lime mixture into pie crust.
- Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until set.
- Garnish with grated lime peel.
This is an ancient recipe, and a golden one. Double the recipe and you won't have to worry about splitting the smaller tub of CoolWhip. These pies freeze beutifully. Making two is just as easy as one, and you can freeze one for that unexpected company. Using a grahm crust is the traditional way. As Key Limes are rare in every part of the country except South Florida (Florida Native here, and I still haven't actually used one. So much for purity) you can buy Nelly and Joe's Key Lime juice which is excellent. The more you whip this, the thicker it will become, and I would strongly suggest you chill it overnight for serving purposes. Otherwise it will wilt and melt quickly. This is the best recipe and No Eggs!
Jeane you are absolutely correct. This is a wonderful pie and very easy to make. I used a oreo cookie pie crust just for curosity and it was great.
This is the recipe I have been looking for. Easy and no use of eggs or baking. Not that there is someting wrong with baking, I just needed something quick, easy and has a good taste. I found it in this recipe. My husand will be so surprised when he gets home and I have made him his favorite pie. I hope he doesn't mind that I have already taken a taste of it !!!!! Thank you,