Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Use fresh skinless boneless pastured chicken breasts and thighs for out-of-this world flavor and for health. Use homemade no sodium tomato products if possible or boxed over canned and use organic from store. You can use 1 tsp. organic butter if your health permits or 1 tsp. Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil as these are safer than olive oil to cook with. You won't taste any coconut. Oil is optional. Season to taste but stress the oregano. Amounts are given for dried spices but you may convert sizes appropriately if you wish to use fresh. Be sure to use 10" plates with rims to hold the broth inside the rim of the plate. Use whole wheat or multi-grain or gluten free spaghetti. The chicken caccitore is best served over the pasta and with a spinach salad and crusty bread.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups onion rings, from sliced large peeled yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, fresh and sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄3 lbs chicken breasts, thighs, skinless boneless fresh pastured
- 1 red bell pepper, large and seeded and cored and sliced into rings
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms, shitake (fresh)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, no sodium organic
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, canned plum
- 1 cup Burgundy wine, sweet red
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 bay leaf, fresh green
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted (optional) or 1 teaspoon coconut oil, extra virgin (optional)
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 8 teaspoons parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 4 parsley sprigs, fresh
- Place onion rings in bottom of 4 quart crockpot.
- Place whole chicken pieces on top of onion rings or, if preferred, slice so that each serving consists of 2 chunks of meat.
- Place sliced red bell pepper rings atop chicken pieces.
- Place sliced mushroom pieces atop bell pepper and chicken.
- In separate large bowl place the tomato paste amount you will use.
- Pour 2 cups chicken broth over tomato paste and blend with a fork.
- Add 15 oz diced plum tomato to bowl mixture and blend.
- Add 1 cup sweet red burgundy wine to bowl mixture.
- Add bay leaf and seasonings to bowl mixture and stir so mixed.
- Pour bowl mixture over chicken and bell pepper mixture in crockpot, add 1 teaspoon oil if you wish, cover, turn on low, and cook 6-8 hours as you prefer.
- During the last 8 minutes of cooking prepare the pasta in a separate pot and drain when cooked.
- Divide cooked pasta among 4 plates, 10" each, and using tongs proportion the chicken among the 4 plates along with the mushrooms and bell pepper slices and onion rings.
- Ladle broth over the 4 indvidiual servings on plates.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese over each plate and in center of plate portion place leaves from a parsley sprig and then serve.
My apologies. I looked twice on this tablet and couldn't see it but it's there.