Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A refreshing "salad soup" for those hot summer days. Plan ahead as it requires at least two hours refrigeration. Based upon a recipe (that I've not yet tried) from The Low Cholesterol Live Oil Cookbook and submitted for Zaar World Tour II.
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (ripe beefsteak tomatoes recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups crumbled stale French bread (white part, not the crusts)
- 2 cups ice-cold cold tomato juice (or ice-cold V8 juice)
- 2 cups ice water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt (to taste)
- crouton (for topping soup)
- Combine everything except olive oil and tomato paste; puree two cups at a time; once all is pureed, whisk in olive oil and tomato paste.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least two hours; whisk again just before serving; season to taste then serve soup topped with croutons.
Thanks for posting this very easy recipes. I followed the basic proportions, but used all tomato juice and no water, added a large bunch of finely chopped cilantro, and left out the oil altogether, making this much lower in fat and fuller in flavor.