Recipe by Deb's Recipes
A refreshing "salad soup" for those hot summer days. Plan ahead as it requires at least two hours refrigeration. Based upon a recipe (that I've not yet tried) from The Low Cholesterol Live Oil Cookbook and submitted for Zaar World Tour II.
Top Review by Susann Codish
Thanks for posting this very easy recipes. I followed the basic proportions, but used all tomato juice and no water, added a large bunch of finely chopped cilantro, and left out the oil altogether, making this much lower in fat and fuller in flavor.
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (ripe beefsteak tomatoes recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups crumbled stale French bread (white part, not the crusts)
- 2 cups ice-cold cold tomato juice (or ice-cold V8 juice)
- 2 cups ice water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt (to taste)
- crouton (for topping soup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything except olive oil and tomato paste; puree two cups at a time; once all is pureed, whisk in olive oil and tomato paste.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least two hours; whisk again just before serving; season to taste then serve soup topped with croutons.