Recipe by Quest4ZBest
This recipe is easy and good! For convenience I use beef bouillion most of the time instead of canned broth.
Top Review by KillerTasteBuds
I have always like french onion soup. I've never made it until recently, and am amazed of how simple it is. This is a nice, light, recipe, and great when you're pressed for time. I've made it a few times, and am never disappointed.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 5 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart sauce pan on medium heat. Add onions and stir until tender and translucent.
- Add beef broth and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Pour soup into oven safe bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (I like to break slice into pieces). Layer bread with 1/2 slice of Swiss, 1 slice of provolone, and 1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in oven until cheese browns slightly.