French Onion Soup
photo by Veggie Girl Kacey
- Ready In:
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and sauté the onions until very soft, at least 20 minutes.
- Add the Cognac and the wine and cook for one minute.
- Add the stock. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Check the seasonings.
- Ladle into oven-proof soup bowls and set on a baking sheet. Top each with a croûte (roasted Vienna bread).
- Sprinkle the top generously with cheese. Broil in oven until the top is lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So delicious! I always make a simple French Onion Soup and can never pinpoint what I am missing. I really think the wine made this dish. I didn't have cognac or shallots and instead of beef broth I used a simulated "beef" broth (vegetarian). Came out excellent! As nice as it would be to have Gruyère cheese it is way too expensive here, so I used Havarti instead.
Wonderful french onion soup!!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and made as written except had to use shredded mozzarella cheese, as DH used that last of the sliced cheese on his burger before my soup finished!! I had this for lunch with a salad and sooo enjoyed it!! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Gimme 5 Tag.