Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A tweak on one of my top rated recipes. A thick salsa with bold flavors that's sure to please.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 large jalapenos, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 drops maggi seasoning (optional)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can Mexican tomato sauce (spicy)
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed
- Cut stem end off of Roma Tomatoes and make an "X" in the skin on the other end and place in a microwave safe bowl, add a couple tablespoons of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high about 2 minutes, until tomatoes are softened and skins come off easily. Discard skins and set aside.
- Put garlic, jalepeno, spices, Maggi Seasoning and lime juice in the work bowl of a 6 cup food processor with the chopping blade, and pulse a couple times until the garlic and jalepeno are minced.
- Add canned tomatoes and pulse about 3 times.
- Add Roma tomatoes, onion, and cilantro and pulse until the onion is at desirable size- 1/4 inch or so.
Oh, there's a tie in this house for the original and this one. I like the original better because I like thinner salsas. Tom liked this one better - thicker :) Both are excellent!