This is a pared-down version of a French classic: chicken pieces are seasoned and browned, then braised in a red wine sauce.
- Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken parts with salt and pepper and saute until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place wine in a shallow dish or bowl.
- Dip chicken pieces into wine, one at a time, and return to skillet.
- Add any remaining wine, stock and onions, stir together and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover skillet and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water and add mixture to sauce to thicken; cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes and serve.