Quick Coq au Vin
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced carrots (1/4" thick)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced Canadian bacon (1/4" thick)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Combine flour, thyme, and salt in a zip lock bag, add chicken.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 8 minutes or until browned, turning frequently.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add mushrooms, carrot, and bacon to pan; saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine, broth, and tomato paste; cook 9 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe truly is an excellent and quick version of a classic. I did however make a few changes adding garlic, a few peppercorns and herbs de provence instead of the thyme. I also deglazed the pan with a bit of cognac before adding the wine, broth & tomatoe paste. Thank you PanNan for sharing the recipe.
Last night's dinner was wonderful. In preparing your Quick Coq au Vin recipe, PanNan, I used a whole chicken and cut it into 10 pieces... 2 drums, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 4 pieces of breast... It worked really well and gave us a goodly variety of dark and white meat. Ingredients measurements were adjusted logically, to accommodate the extra pieces, but that was no hardship. My own personal "pantry" includes a supply of chicken broth in the freezer, what a good thing. You are so right, this recipe is indeed "A quick but delicious version of this classic dish." A wonderful recipe for a working family with little time to prepare delicious family meals. Thanks PanNan. It's a keeper.
Fantastic! This was just Great! I made it with three chicken breast and the rest of the ingredients. Using shitaki mushrooms n place of Cremini. To my dismay I didn`t have fresh carrots so for some odd reason I had a can of them in storage. Made it real simple!! I did use white because that's what I was drinking while making this tasty dish.A must make!