Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These rolls are delicious. Recipe is from Ladies Home Journal.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F with rack in upper third of oven; coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In bowl, combine the brown sugar, 2 T granulated sugar and cinnamon with 2 T butter; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3 T granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and 3 T butter.
- Stir together the liquid and dry ingredients; dough will look rough.
- Knead on a floured surface until just smooth, about 5 turns.
- Pat or roll dough into a 9x13-inch rectangle.
- Spread dough with brown sugar filling, leaving 1/2-inch border.
- Use a spatula to lift dough from surface and roll, starting at a long side, to form a tight log.
- Pinch seam to seal log and slice evenly into 9 pieces.
- Place in prepared pan swirl-side up and press rolls down slightly.
- Brush tops with 1 T butter.
- Bake until edges are just golden brown and rolls are cooked through, 22-25 minutes.
- Loosen rolls from pan an invert onto a plate; reinvert to right side up onto a rack.
- Cool 5 minutes before icing.
- For icing, in a bowl, beat together cream cheese and buttermilk until smooth.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar to form icing; spread over rolls with a knife.
- Serve rolls warm.