Recipe by dianegrapegrower
Posted for my son. I've been making this for years. It's easy, very good, and makes good use of leftovers.
Top Review by garyloewenthal
Flavorful, filling, hearty, and easy! I made a vegan version using Daiya vegan cheese and seitan (made from wheat gluten, and has a taste and texture similar to chicken, and absorbs flavor similarly). I added a clove of chopped garlic at the beginning also.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced olives, drained
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 8 -10 corn tortillas, lightly sauteed (6-inch)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a small frying pan. Saute onion until tender. Add green chilies, olives, and chicken, and heat through. Remove from heat and moisten with a little enchilada sauce.
- Coat an 8" baking pan with cooking spray, and pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom. Line bottom with two tortillas, tearing to fit. Sprinkle with 1/3 chicken mixture and 1/4 of cheese. Drizzle with 1/4 of remaining sauce.
- Repeat layers two more times. Top with remaining 2 tortillas, cheese, and sauce.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F until hot through - about 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes, until cheese is toasty. Let set 10 minutes, and serve garnished with sour cream and avocado as desired.