Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A one skillet meal with great flavor... and it couldn't be easier!
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 14 ounces salsa (we prefer medium hot chunky salsa)
- 1 cup quick-cooking white rice, uncooked
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (we use low fat, low sodium broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-2 inch chunks or slices.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add chicken and onion.
- Saute over medium high heat until chicken is browned on one side and onion is fragrant but not burnt.
- Turn chicken pieces to brown on the other side for 1 minute.
- Add raw rice and stir to coat with pan juices.
- Immediately add chicken broth, salsa and tomato paste; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture up to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir mixture.
- If rice has absorbed all of the liquid, add up to 1/2 cup more broth and stir.
- Top with shredded cheese, cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir the cheese into the rice mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Good easy dinner. I spiced it up a little with some chili powder and cumin, and topped it with a little sour cream. Will make again.