Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
For this recipe the macaroni is cooked right in the skillet along with the other ingredients, add in a jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped for some heat if desired. This recipe will give you 6-8 servings but you can reduce amounts by half. Purchase only the Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese dinner for this only.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces, can use a little more)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) packages Mac n' Cheese Deluxe, for this (use Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
- Separate the macaroni and the cheese package.
- Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the diced chicken and brown on all sides, then remove to a bowl.
- Add in onion, garlic and green bell pepper; cook stirring for about 4-5 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- Add in the chicken back to the skillet.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice, water, drained mushrooms and the macaroni pasta (save the cheese package to add in at the end) bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 10-15 minutes or until the macaroni is tender (stirring with a wooden spoon a few times).
- Stir in the cheese sauce and Parmesan cheese until well blended and heated through.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
i fixed this for dinner last night. it was OK, but was too bland for my tastes. it needs some seasoning. also, the pasta was gummy after cooking for 15 minutes. DH said it was good, but didn't ask for seconds. made for the bargain basement tag game.