Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This version of this popular dish is so easy, made with common ingredients and everyone loves it! From the "Lone Star Cookbook 1997-98", Aggie Moms Club, Texarkana TX.
- Chop the onion and green pepper.
- Cook pastas together; drain well.
- Saute beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are soft. Add the pepperoni and heat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- Add spaghetti sauce and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spray a 3-qt casserole with cooking spray. Put 1/2 of the pasta in the casserole. Spoon 1/2 of the meat sauce mixture over the pasta. Spoon the container of cottage cheese over the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the remaining pasta, then sauce, then mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
I'm use to making cavatini with an alfredo sauce, but this version is just as yummy. I use Dreamfield pasta (diabetic friendly) so I am limited in the shapes I can use. I used penne pasta, macaroni and rotini...other than that I followed the directions as posted. This dish tasted almost like lasagna without all the hassles of laying out the lasagna noodles. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
This was a nice surprise, and really flavorful. Initially, I thought there might be a mistake, as a total o f 1-1/2 cups of pasta didn't seem like all that much, and it's really not. However, it ended up being about the right amount when combined with the meat sauce, although I would say you could get away with another cup or so. I made this exactly as posted, though, including the cottage cheese, which I have never used in Italian cooking before (I was raised with ricotta). I was pleasantly surprised at how light the cottage cheese was. This went together fairly quickly and the result was a delicious meal. Maybe I have an unusually large appetite, but I would say this would serve no more than 4. However, I think that, in the future, I will happily double this recipe. Thanks for sharing! Made for Aussie/NZ Swap #66.