Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A simple stew from Betty Crocker Lowfat and Fit.
- 2 lbs top round steaks
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 8 ounces mushroom pieces, drained
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 16 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- Trim fat from beef.
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix beef, carrots, celery, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms in Dutch oven.
- Mix flour, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper; stir into beef mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes.
- Cover and bake about 4 hours or until beef is tender and stew is thickened.