Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Using canned beans makes this dish not just quick and easy but delish! And you have everything in your cabinet so make it now!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth, see my recipe posted or use store bought
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups canned black beans, drained
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion,pepper and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the spices and black beans.
Very tasty, enjoyed by both adults and toddlers. We added some frozen corn, a chopped-up mango, and some cilantro from a tube. Yummy!
Most of the time, when I serve a recipe without meat, the family really complains. So, to please them, I sauteed some smoked sausage with the vegetables before adding the rice. After the spices were added at the end, the white rice took on the greenish yellow color of the cumin and curry with the black beans mixed in, so at first everyone just stared at their plate and didn't know what to expect. Well, after the first bite, there was no doubt - everyone loved it! There were no left overs. Next time I'm going to make it my way - no meat! I'll be sure to serve some meat on the side for the rest of the family. Thanks for sharing this delicious and healthy recipe.
Rita, this is a wonderful one dish meal. My husband and I enjoyed this so much. I made as directed. He ate with fresh salsa. I wrapped mine in a flour tortilla with shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomato and salsa. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Rita! I will definitely serve this one again!