Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my My Great Recipes card file. This is the easiest stuffed manicotti recipe I've ever used and its delicious. My whole family likes it and asks for it often. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 2 cups large curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 -16 manicotti
- additional parmesan cheese
For tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- Tomato Sauce: Saute' 1 large onion(chopped) and 1 sweet red bell pepper(seeded and chopped) in 3 tablespoons olive or salad oil until tender. Mix in 2 cloves garlic(minced or pressed), 1 large can(28oz.) tomatoes, 1/2 cup dry red wine(optional), 1 teaspoons each sugar and salt, and 1 tablespoons dried basil leaves. Bring to boiling. Cover and simmer 20 minutes Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 min., until sauce is reduced to about 1 quart.
- Spoon 1 cup of the Tomato Sauce into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Mix ground beef, parsley, onions, salt, herbs, cottage cheese, Jack cheese, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Divide mixture into 12 to 16 equal portions. Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with it. Place filled shells in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly over them. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil(refrigerate, if made ahead).
- Bake at 350 F until manicotti are tender, about 1 1/4 hrs.(1 1/2 hrs if refrigerated). Uncover. Bake 5 minute to brown lightly. Serve sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.