Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is like apple pie without the crust :)
- 6 -8 peeled sliced apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar (or more if desired, OR half of EACH white sugar with brown sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold, and cut into small cubes
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-qt casserole.
- Place sliced apples in prepared casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice and water; pour over the apples.
- In another small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; pour over the apples and the lemon/water mixture.
- Dot with chopped butter on the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes; stirring occasionally.
This dish was yummy, but it was a bit thick with the flour. Next time, I'll add less flour or more apples. I added in pecans which made it extra yummy. Overall, this is a good recipe.
My wife made this for us to try today and we loved it. Well be making it again for sure. Thanks very much for a lovely recipe.
I love the ease and lack of a crust on this. I did find if to be over sweet for my taste even though I used half the ask for sweetening. I used 1 tsp Splenda brown sugar and a very scant 1/4 cup of Splenda granular for 2 servings with 2 tbsp flour. I will make this again but next time I'll mix the topping mixture with the apple slices because it just sat on top even with the butter melting on it. The cinnamon and apple aroma was wonderful and the flavor is pure old fashioned pleasure.