Recipe by ElaineAnn
An easier version of the traditional Polish Babka.
Top Review by lauralie41
This is a very moist and lovely babka but I also had a bit of a problem with the dough. My half and half was expired so I used recipe #168150, used half the sugar and 1 cup of flour for steps 1 and 2. After the mixture doubled in size I followed step 3 but I had a loose sticky dough that did not feel just right. I added an additional cup of flour and that did the trick. My babka did not have much flavor though and I think because I added the extra cup of flour and did not double the vanilla, almond extract, and lemon rind that was the problem. I tagged this for the Please Review My Recipe Game and needed to get my review submitted but would like to make this again as I am sure it would be a wonderful treat!
- 1 (1/16 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in cream.
- Combine with half the sugar and flour and let double in size.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the raisins and knead until smooth.
- Add raisins, while continuing to knead.
- Grease and flour babka pan (or tube pan). Place dough in pan, cover with a clean cloth, and leave in a very warm, draft-free place until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. When cool, remove from pan.
- Mix icing ingredients well and drizzle over babka.