The house smells great while this is cooking.
Make and share this East Indian-Style Spiced Beef With Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (apx 2-inch piece)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- hot cooked rice
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- Brown meat in oil in a large pot. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Cook onion and garlic in pot for about 4-5 minutes, stirring (don't let garlic burn).
- Add all spices. Stir.
- Stir in meat and 1/4 cup water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoons yogurt until well combined. Continue adding yogurt 1 tablespoons at a time.
- Stir in remaining 1-1/4 cup water.
- Cover. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts if desired.
This was fantastic! I gave it 4 stars because I had to double the spices. *I also add a little cumin
This was something new and different for us. I wish I would have had peanuts to top it off. Thanks for posting the recipe.
The flavor of the sauce was great, but we only gave four stars because it didn't meld into the meat very well. I had to leave the yogurt out (milk allergy) but we didn't find it too spicy at all even without. Thanks Lisa!