The house smells great while this is cooking.
Make and share this East Indian-Style Spiced Beef With Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (apx 2-inch piece)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- hot cooked rice
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- Brown meat in oil in a large pot. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Cook onion and garlic in pot for about 4-5 minutes, stirring (don't let garlic burn).
- Add all spices. Stir.
- Stir in meat and 1/4 cup water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoons yogurt until well combined. Continue adding yogurt 1 tablespoons at a time.
- Stir in remaining 1-1/4 cup water.
- Cover. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts if desired.