Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love perogies but not all the work it takes to make them. I decided there had to be an easier way and this is what I came up with.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- Cook noodles as directed on package. Drain.
- Mix cheese, mashed potatoes, salt, onion salt and pepper together.
- Line bottom of 9x13 pan with one third of the noodles. Next layer one half of the cheese/potato mixture, then another layer of noodles, another layer of cheese/potatoes and ending with a layer of noodles.
- Melt butter in frying pan and saute onions slowly until clear and soft. Pour over noodles. Cover. Bake 30 minutes in 350 degree oven. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream.
This is simple to prepare and is very delicious! I made homemade mashed potatoes to use and added some green onion to the potato/cheese mixture. I served this with a side of mixed veggies, which my husband said complimented the dish. He mixed it all together. This definitely needs to be served with something else because it is a little bland on its own. We thoroughly enjoyed this dish!
soooo very, very good. the taste is exactly like my Gram's pierogies. I've never made them from scratch before, but I'm assuming that this is much easier. Thanks so much for this recipe.
No need to buy frozen perogies ever again. This is easy, and very tasty. I'm the only one that likes perogies, so I scaled the recipe down for 2 servings, and baked in a small gratin dish. So perfect. You could make the 9 x 13 size, then cut and freeze into serving size portions. I did add some chopped green onions to the potato mixture, and eliminated the onion salt. I bet bacon would go good in here also. Thanks Nancy Ann for a terrific recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2009.