1/1 Photo of Dutch Split Pea Soup
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Keep this on hand when you go out jogging or exorcising. Makes a great rib-sticking soup. I sometimes vary the meat ingredients- in the pic posted, I used little smokies and a ham hock, same amounts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) package split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1/2 lb cooked ham or 1/2 lb ham hock, diced (whichever)
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage or 1/2 lb Little Smokies sausage, sliced
- 2 large leeks, well washed and sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Wash and sort peas.
- 2Combine peas, water, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- 3Press cloves into onion, and add to pot (if using a ham hock you may wish to add it now so it becomes more tender- but NOT the smoked sausage, as they split if overcooked).
- 4Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, about 1 hour.
- 5Remove the onion and bay leaf.
- 6Puree soup through a coarse sieve or in batches in the blender (be careful not to burn yourself!); return mixture to the pot.
- 7(I like to leave a little bit not pureed for texture).
- 8Add potatoes, ham, sausage.
- 9leek and celery.
- 10Simmer uncovered about 25-35 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 11Taste for seasoning and garnish soup with chopped parsley before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 512.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: