1/1 Photo of Dungeness Dungeness Crabs With White Wine-Garlic
This is a fantastic recipe, stolen from the pages of Weber Grill. If you are a lover of the Dungeness crab, you will love this. Very easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large live dungeness crabs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 equal pieces
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 finely grated lemon, juice and zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 baguette, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- 2To kill each crab, place it on its back and hold it down with a large cleaver. Use a hammer to tap the top edge of the cleaver and cut the crab in half lengthwise all the way through. Remove and discard the dangling tail flaps and mouth parts. Turn the crab over. Pull off and discard the top shell. Remove and discard the gills. Rinse each half of the crab under cold running water and use your finger to scoop out and discard the dark viscera. Slice each half into five pieces by cutting between each leg and through the body. Using the hammer again (or a nutcracker or crab cracker), crack each section of each leg to make eating easier after the crabs are cooked.
- 3In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet combine the butter, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- 4Place the skillet over direct high heat and cook, with the lid open, until the butter melts and the garlic turns golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it comes to a boil. Remove the skillet from the grill and set it down on a heat-proof surface.
- 5Grill the crab pieces over direct high heat, with the lid open, for about 4 minutes, turning once, and then move them to the skillet. Return the skillet over direct high heat and gently turn the crab pieces with tongs to coat them with the sauce. Cook until the liquid boils and the crab is fully cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with pieces of bread to dip into the liquid remaining in the skillet.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dungeness Dungeness Crabs With White Wine-Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (845 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2110.1
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 218.1 mg
- Sodium 3555.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 296.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 89.7 g