Chicken and Pasta in White Wine Garlic Sauce
photo by Delvallejoanna
- Ready In:
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb linguine or 1 lb other pastas
- salt and pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine chicken in large skillet with water, olive oil, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and spices.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, wine, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes while preparing pasta, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta al dente,place into serving dish and toss with olive oil.
- Pour chicken mixture over pasta.
- Serve with fresh salad and garlic toast.
- I am very generous with my spices when i make this dish and usually add more than the recipe calls for, but it is quite delicious as written.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The combination of herbs, wine, olive oil, mushrooms and tomatoes make a very nice sauce. I took others advice and made some changes, though. Omitted the water. Added fresh, seeded, diced tomatoes and fresh sliced mushrooms instead of canned. Half sliced green onions and diced white onions. Used chicken tenderloins because that is what I had. Same amount of other ingredients. Followed the directions otherwise. My husband and I really enjoyed this! Will make again. Oh...also threw in some frozen shrimp at the end that needed using up.
see 42 more reviews
I just made this tonight for my husband. He loved it. I liked it- it was good! I too used chicken stock instead of water, sauteed fresh mushrooms first then followed the recipe pretty much as written, except I went heavier on the spices and on the wine. I added a lot of Pecorino Romano at the very end to thicken it up a bit. Next time I might add about a mug full of the starchy pasta liquid to let things come together more and add a bit less stock and wine. Thanks for the recipe!! Definitely making it again!
This was very good. I followed your recipe for the most part. I cut it in half and at least tripled the herbs. Instead of water, I used chicken stock for more flavor. I also used canned tomoatoes with garlic and onion. (they were a wonderful add of flavor!) Sadly, we had no mushrooms in the house at the time, though I would have loved to have them in this, fresh. I left out the rosemary as my mother is not too fond of it's taste, though I would imagine it tasting excellent in this. She enjoyed eating slivered almonds on top! In the end, this was quite delicious and I loved it so much. Thank you for sharing!
see 3 more tweaks