1/1 Photo of Dum Aloo (Fried Potatoes in Spicy Sauce )
This is a north Indian (Kashmiri) dish , traditionally the recipe is made with potatoes cooked in yogurt. This is not the authentic recipe. Its my take on the Dum Aloo. Tastes equally great. It can be served with rice/roti/paratha/naan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 baby potatoes (Boiled)
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 green cardamoms
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tomatoes (puried)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (can be to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (can be to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1Peel the potatoes and pierce them all over with a fork.
- 2Heat the oil in a pan for frying and deep fry the potatoes till they get a red- brown tinge.
- 3In a separate pan, heat the 2tbsp oil on medium heat.Add cumin seeds, cardamoms and the cinnamon stick to the hot oil (the seeds should crackle).
- 4Add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
- 5Add the ginger garlic paste and saute them till they loose the raw smell.
- 6Add the tomatoes and cook then covered for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the turmeric powder, chillli powder, corriander powder, fennel seeds and garam masala, Saute the spices till the oil starts oozing out.
- 8Add the yogurt and keep stirring the yogurt until it comes to a boil.
- 9Now add salt and stir.
- 10Add about 2 cups of water and bring to a rolling boil.
- 11Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat, covered.
- 12Add sugar and cook for 5 more minutes.
- 13Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dum Aloo (Fried Potatoes in Spicy Sauce )
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 111.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: