Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a north Indian (Kashmiri) dish , traditionally the recipe is made with potatoes cooked in yogurt. This is not the authentic recipe. Its my take on the Dum Aloo. Tastes equally great. It can be served with rice/roti/paratha/naan.
- 8 baby potatoes (Boiled)
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 green cardamoms
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tomatoes (puried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder (can be to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (can be to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- Peel the potatoes and pierce them all over with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying and deep fry the potatoes till they get a red- brown tinge.
- In a separate pan, heat the 2tbsp oil on medium heat.Add cumin seeds, cardamoms and the cinnamon stick to the hot oil (the seeds should crackle).
- Add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute them till they loose the raw smell.
- Add the tomatoes and cook then covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chillli powder, corriander powder, fennel seeds and garam masala, Saute the spices till the oil starts oozing out.
- Add the yogurt and keep stirring the yogurt until it comes to a boil.
- Now add salt and stir.
- Add about 2 cups of water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat, covered.
- Add sugar and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
i made this dish....my sis n dad jst luv it.... :)