1/2 Photos of Duck Soup
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is Russell's speciality. This soup is easy to make, though it takes a bit of planning. It is a complete and filling meal made the way we do. The original recipe came from an Ian Parmenter cookbook, but I doubt he'd recognise his recipe now! Prep and cooking time are just a guess-and don't include overnight refrigeration of the stock or marinated meat-sorry about that! I like to add snow peas or asparagus to this sometimes too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 kg duck, breasts filleted and legs removed
For the stock
- 1 (375 g) can chicken consomme
- water (see step #4)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper, lightly crushed
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon szechwan pepper, lightly crushed
For the duck soup
- 1Mix the ingredients of the marinade, and add the breast fillets and legs.
- 2Refrigerate overnight.
- 3To make the stock, put carcass portions and other stock ingredients into a large saucepan.
- 4Add water to cover and bring to the boil.
- 5Simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- 6Strain, return stock to a clean pot and reduce over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 7Remove any remaining meat from the carcass and reserve.
- 8Cool reduced stock, and refrigerate overnight.
- 9When stock is cold, skim fat from the surface.
- 10The stock is ready for use.
- 11For the duck portions: remove from marinade, and cook in a hot oven (about 200c) for about 20 minutes for the breasts, and about 30 minutes for the legs.
- 12You want the meat to be pink and juicy still, and the skin crispy.
- 13Cool a little then shred the meat.
- 14For the soup: Put stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- 15Reduce heat, and add remaining soup ingredients including both lots of reserved duck meat.
- 16Warm through and season to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Soup
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1693.0
- Calories from Fat 1350
- Total Fat 150.0 g
- Saturated Fat 50.1 g
- Cholesterol 308.2 mg
- Sodium 1859.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 53.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce