Duck Soup With Brown Rice and Yams
photo by justcallmetoni
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 4 lbs duck, cut up or 6 lbs duck, breast removed,reseve for another recipe,cut up
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 8 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup long grain brown rice (long cooking style)
- 12 ounces yams, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Place duck pieces in a soup pot and brown over medium heat.
- Add broth and water, bring to a boil and skim away any scum that forms.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, bay and sage leaves, cumin, ginger and thyme.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove duck pieces and let cool.
- Strain and degrease stock.
- Return stock to pan, add rice, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove duck meat from bones and dice.
- Add duck meat and yam to the pot, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chopped sage and ladle into soup bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Astounded that no one has yet tried this submission from RSC. The star of this elegant soup is the broth which is complex, rich and delicious. These are some of my favorite spices but I never would have thought to put them together. With the posting chef's permission I made this with chicken breasts. My biggest regret was scaling it to 2 so as not to have leftovers, which in retrospect we would have enjoyed immensely. Thanks Lorac!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/girl/zwaa.gif alt= /> I am an escapee from a previous life of professional employment in various fields of <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/krank/med.gif alt= /> nursing, management and occupational health and saftey. <br /><br />We moved to Arizona 13 years ago after having spent all our life in different areas of MA. <br />I live with Mr. Lorac <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/squeeze.gif alt= /> and 2 black cats <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Mo (Mozart) and <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Go (Van Gogh). <br />I love doing creative things - <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/art/1.gif alt= /> oil painting, sewing, crafts, decorating and especially cooking. <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/3.gif alt= /> <br /><br />I enjoy digging through antique/thrift stores looking for treasures, art of any age, shape or form, <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/music2/11.gif alt= /> classical music, suspense- thriller type fiction and people watching. <br />I have 2 married sons, 2 wonderful daughter-in-laws, 4 <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/cat.gif alt= /> grandcats and 1 grandson <img src=http://www.smileycollector.com/images/patriotic/itty1.gif alt= /> born on the 4th of July ! <br /><br /><br />I Co-Host <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/talking/9.gif alt= /> the Recipe Request and Eastern European Forums. <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/BBQParticipantBanner-Final.jpg alt= /> <img src=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/ruemke/food/a.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85476 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC5-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85474 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC3-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28467 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC2-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=35084 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC1-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/linien/27660.gif alt= /></p>