This is Russell's speciality. This soup is easy to make, though it takes a bit of planning. It is a complete and filling meal made the way we do. The original recipe came from an Ian Parmenter cookbook, but I doubt he'd recognise his recipe now! Prep and cooking time are just a guess-and don't include overnight refrigeration of the stock or marinated meat-sorry about that! I like to add snow peas or asparagus to this sometimes too.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 kg duck, breasts filleted and legs removed
For the stock
- 1 (375 g) can chicken consomme
- water (see step #4)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper, lightly crushed
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan pepper, lightly crushed
For the duck soup
- 3 -4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 cups cooked noodles (Hokkien are good)
- 100 g button mushrooms, halved and cooked
- ginger, finely julienned
- 1 tablespoon thai-style sweet chili sauce
- Mix the ingredients of the marinade, and add the breast fillets and legs.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To make the stock, put carcass portions and other stock ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Add water to cover and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Strain, return stock to a clean pot and reduce over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove any remaining meat from the carcass and reserve.
- Cool reduced stock, and refrigerate overnight.
- When stock is cold, skim fat from the surface.
- The stock is ready for use.
- For the duck portions: remove from marinade, and cook in a hot oven (about 200c) for about 20 minutes for the breasts, and about 30 minutes for the legs.
- You want the meat to be pink and juicy still, and the skin crispy.
- Cool a little then shred the meat.
- For the soup: Put stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, and add remaining soup ingredients including both lots of reserved duck meat.
- Warm through and season to taste.