Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated cane juice, sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3⁄4 cup mandarin orange, well-drained and coarsely chopped (one small can)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Stir in the cherries and pecans.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar and ghee until light and whisk in eggs, vanilla, orange flavoring, milk and orange juice.
- Fold creamed mixture into dry ingredients a little at a time and working as lightly as possible. Stir until blended.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Spoon marmalade evenly over batter, and distribute chopped oranges evenly over top. Pour remaining batter over oranges.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.