Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my most requested recipe. We have it at every family function, and it always goes fast. I often double the recipe, making one really large cheese ball. I got this from my mother, who got it from an old cookbook. It really is simple and delicious. You will never want to make another cheese ball. Enjoy!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (2 ounce) package dried beef (also called chipped beef- I use Carl Budding)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Dice the dried beef into small pieces. This is dependent upon how small you want your dried beef to be. I usually dice mine into 1/4" squares (approx.), but others like it more finely diced.
- Dice/mince the green onions.
- Add all of the ingredients to the softened cream cheese in a medium sized bowl. Stir. (I usually use my clean hands for this; a wooden spoon also works with a bit more effort). The ingredients should be consistent throughout the cheese ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for at least 6-8 hours. This is one of those recipes that is at its best after sitting overnight. This way, the flavors really blend.
- Serve with crackers. My family likes Wheat Thins, but it really goes with any type of cracker. Enjoy!
I made this using the Carl Budding cornbeef and added allspice instead of garlic salt.
Way, way too salty. Wonder if the poster really meant dried beef which is found on a shelf or the refrigerated chipped beef ala Carl Budding? Definitely omit the garlic salt and use low sodium worcestershire.
Very salty.. Did not care for this at all. Followed the recipe exactly. Very disappointed.