Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 maine lobsters, about 1 to 11/4 pounds each
- 4 ears sweet corn, shucked except for innermost leaves
- 4 small boiling onions
- 2 lbs steamer soft shelled crabs, cleaned
- 2 lbs mussels
- 12 small Red Bliss potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 5 lbs fresh seaweed (or add 2 teaspoons of salt to cooking water and put down a layer of crumpled aluminum foil to raise)
- In a large roasting pan or steamer, place one-inch layer of seaweed or layer of crumpled aluminum foil or on a rack.
- Parboil onions and potatoes.
- Shuck corn except the innermost leaves.
- Place lobster on seaweed or aluminum foil; arrange corn and onions between the lobster and the sides of the pan.
- Place clams, mussels, and potatoes gently over the lobster.
- Keep the top of the pan contents level.
- Cover with remaining seaweed and add water (salted if no seaweed) over the top.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil or a lid and place on stove or preheated grill to cook.
- If using a grill, make sure the coals are very hot.
- When steam becomes visible, cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, but leave covered for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with lemon, melted butter or margarine, or your favorite lobster accompaniment.