Recipe by Gagoo
Southern style green beans, just the way my granny used to make. This recipe can also be prepared in a crock pot if you prefer. Basic recipe was found on Allrecipes.com - I made a couple alterations in ingredients, using fresh in place of powdered.
- 1419.54 ml water
- 1 ham hock
- 29.58 ml lard or 29.58 ml bacon grease
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 453.59 g fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and snapped into bite size pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water, ham hock, and lard in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add seasoning salt, salt, pepper, garlic and onion.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and add green beans and simmer covered for about 2 hours.
- You can choose to cook in a crock pot for 12 to 18 hours on low.