Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
4 for big appetites or 6-8 for smaller appetites
- 1 lb fresh-picked maine crabmeat (or any other fresh crabmeat)
- 3 cups unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce or 4 -5 dashes other hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely minced
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mayonnaise (approximately)
- 1⁄4 cup additional breadcrumbs, for coating
- oil (for frying)
- Combine crabmeat, breadcrumbs, mustard, hot sauce, bell pepper, scallions, celery and egg in a large bowl.
- Add just enough mayonnaise to hold the ingredients together, being careful not to make it so moist that the mixture will fall apart.
- Divide into 8 patties.
- Coat with additional bread crumbs, then fry, four at a time, in hot oil until crispy and brown on all sides.
- ***Patties can be made ahead of time and frozen- they freeze very well.
miller has left a rich legacy of wonderful recipes here on zaar, and this is one such stellar recipe. i didn't change anything (except that i didn't coat the patties in crumbs) and we loved the red peppers in the crab. we had this with avocado butter (#97094).
This recipe was great! I didn't have any red bell pepper so I added finely minced onion. Served with a spicy aioli this was fantastic! Thank you!
Fabulous and filling! I used fresh Dungeness crab and mixed in breadcrumbs, but used Panko to coat the patties before frying. I served these with a sweet chile dipping sauce and a concoction of horseradish, mustard, sour cream, lemon, and chives. Wnderful recipe..thanks for posting.