1 hr 30 mins
Chef #532026's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Double Decadence Chocolate Cake
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Shiny Chocolate Icing
- 1Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- 2Spray two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans with Crisco No Stick Cooking Spray. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper; spray again.
- 3Combine chocolate chips and hot coffee in a bowl. Let mixture stand, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 4Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- 5Beat, in the bowl of an electric mixer, eggs until thick and yellow, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly add Oil, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- 6Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 minutes.
- 7Cool layers in pans on racks for 30-45 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely.
- 8Whisk together, in a 1-1/2- to 2-quart saucepan, the cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate chips, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 9Crisco into 3 pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- 10Transfer icing to a bowl and chill until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- 11Spread icing between cake layers and over top and sides.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Decadence Chocolate Cake With Shiny Chocolate Icing
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.9
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 319.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g