Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make and share this Double Decadence Chocolate Cake With Shiny Chocolate Icing recipe from Food.com.
Double Decadence Chocolate Cake
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Shiny Chocolate Icing
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Spray two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans with Crisco No Stick Cooking Spray. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper; spray again.
- Combine chocolate chips and hot coffee in a bowl. Let mixture stand, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat, in the bowl of an electric mixer, eggs until thick and yellow, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly add Oil, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 minutes.
- Cool layers in pans on racks for 30-45 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely.
- Whisk together, in a 1-1/2- to 2-quart saucepan, the cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate chips, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Crisco into 3 pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer icing to a bowl and chill until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- Spread icing between cake layers and over top and sides.