Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make and share this Double Decadence Chocolate Cake With Shiny Chocolate Icing recipe from Food.com.
Double Decadence Chocolate Cake
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Shiny Chocolate Icing
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Spray two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans with Crisco No Stick Cooking Spray. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper; spray again.
- Combine chocolate chips and hot coffee in a bowl. Let mixture stand, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat, in the bowl of an electric mixer, eggs until thick and yellow, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly add Oil, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 minutes.
- Cool layers in pans on racks for 30-45 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely.
- Whisk together, in a 1-1/2- to 2-quart saucepan, the cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate chips, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Crisco into 3 pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer icing to a bowl and chill until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- Spread icing between cake layers and over top and sides.