Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This appeared in our local paper, The Boston Globe, just this week. I've yet to make them but they sounded to yummy not to post.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Set the over at 375 degrees.
- Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt just to blend them.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk, and sour cream.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, stir until the mixture is combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling each right up to the top.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until they are firm and golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- To make the coating:.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir well.
- While the muffins are still hot, turn them out of the tin.
- Brush each muffin with melted butter.
- Roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Pretty tasty! I use whole wheat pastry flour, raw sugar, and replace the buttermilk + sour cream with 1c plain yogurt, and this comes out beautifully. It's fall-apart tender, and just melts in your mouth, and with the healthier upgrades, I don't even feel bad letting the kids go back for more. I've passed this on more than once, so for a tasty sweet occasional treat, this is a great one to have.
Delicious. We doubled the recipe. Since we didn't have sour cream, we used plain yogurt. We will definitely be making these again and the 5yo asked if she could have them for lunch on her birthday! We also used whole wheat flour and will have to try it with coconut oil next time as that sounds heavenly.
I used coconut oil and whole wheat and they came out just fine. It was chaotic around here so I didn't get to try them warm but, they were good!