Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I usually make a 1/2 recipe of this great barbeque sauce. It's from the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- After oil has heated, add the onions, green peppers, and jalapenos and stir.
- Add a pinch of sa1t and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft and onions are golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients except the Liquid Smoke.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool.
- Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
awesome recipe. I usually double it and give out bottles to friends at bbq's. Makes a great marinade for chicken as well. 2 things i do differently: -I usually cook the onions and peppers for 10-15 minutes and use a potato masher to basically puree them. -Add some J.D to it for an extra kick.
My sister who lives near Syracuse gave me the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook last Summer and this sauce is the basis for many of their recipes. Most of my fellow Texans would probably not share my taste for this sauce on smoked brisket, but I have really grown to like it. All of the flavors just kind of explode in your mouth!! And although I don't recommend keeping things in the fridge for a long time, I found out (by accident) that this keeps a very long time.
I've been making this Sauce for years. It's perfect with my husband's pulled pork!