Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an extremely easy cream of salmon soup that can be made with half and half instead of heavy whipping cream (probably even whole milk although I haven't tried that...yet).
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 3 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 3⁄4 cups half-and-half or 3 3⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons combination of some butter and margarine, softened
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons sea salt or 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
- ground black pepper
- Peel and dice potatoes and onions 1/3-1/2" cubes.
- Carefully skin the salmon and cut into 1/2" wide strips; make one horizontal cut to halve strips then put salmon in fridge.
- In a stock pot add water, potatoes, onions and salt.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat (might take awhile on an electric stove).
- Turn heat to low and simmer for an additional ten minutes (skim any foam).
- Finely chop dill
- Add half and half/cream and bring to boil over moderate heat.
- When slightly thickened, reduce to low heat.
- Add salmon and cook for 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add dill and stir.
- Add ground black pepper to taste then mix in 5 tbsp of softened butter and/or margarine (I like to use 2 tbsps butter and 3 margarine).
- Add mace if you have it, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the soup and if necessary, add salt.
This soup is easy and delious. Just wish I knew how to reduce th fat etc. to make it more healthy. But in the meantime, GREAT SOUP. We loved it.