Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
New to slow cooking, I recently came across this recipe while perusing a cookbook from Mom's collection. Though I have not tried this yet, I'm keeping it here safe for when the time comes. I'm guessing that the honey mustard can be replaced with a combination of equal parts dijon mustard and honey.
- Combine the allspice, salt and pepper. Rub over the surface of the roast. Place roast in slow cooker.
- Blend mustard, honey, orange zest, and onion flakes. Pour over the roast. Sprinkle cranberries on top.
- Cook for 4 to 6 hours on low or 2 to 3 hours on high. Pork should be fork tender but not falling apart.
- Remove pork and allow to rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Skim fat from the top of the sauce.
- Slice meat and serve with sauce on top or allow diners to ladle on themselves.
This is truly delicious! It is the rare EASY crockpot meal that is suitable for company! We love it and have made it several times. I use about 1/4 - 1/2 c finely chopped onion in place of the dried onions. Also, since we usually don't have honey-dijon mustard in the house, I substitute 1 T honey and 1 T dijon for the 2T honey-dijon. These substitutions work out just great. Thanks for an awesome recipe!
I'm really sorry, but these flavors just didn't seem to go together for us. (I completely omitted the orange zest b/c of others' reviews.) My roast was very large, so I doubled the topping ingredients except the cranberries and the onions. Still, the onions were overpowering (and I love onions)! Part-way through cooking, I peeked and noticed that everything looked so dry. I added some water. I'm glad I did because when it was done I had enough broth to make gravy - which ended up being the best part of the dish. The leftovers sat in the fridge for several days before I finally pitched them. With so many great reviews, I just can't figure out what went wrong.
Delicious!! I used pork chops (cut up in chunks) instead of the roast, so it only took 2 hours on low in the slow cooker. I also substituted the orange rind with about 2 oz of orange juice. I served it with mashed potatoes and stuffing! Very easy! Turned out great! Will be making this again!