Full of the good stuff- and you get to choose what the good stuff is! This is good for people with juicers, too, because you can use your juice pulp for the pulp called for in the recipe. Credit goes to the wonderful "Diana in Wisconsin" of the Simple Living Discussion Forums. Cook time includes soak time for the oatmeal. I'm sure you could also add about 1/2 cup fruit, raisins or nuts too. These are also vegan, as long as you don't use dairy for the liquid. You can add a Tbs or two of sugar if you want a little sweetness.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups cold coffee or 2 cups cold milk or 2 cups juice or 2 cups cold tea (anything! "Cold" doesn't mean refrigerated, it just means not hot)
- 1 cup applesauce or 1 cup pumpkin puree or 2 smooshed bananas (any fruit pulp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Soak oatmeal in liquid until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add fruit pulp and mix.
- Stir in salt, soda and baking powder.
- Add flour and stir to blend- Don't over stir!
- Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- These freeze well.