Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Full of the good stuff- and you get to choose what the good stuff is! This is good for people with juicers, too, because you can use your juice pulp for the pulp called for in the recipe. Credit goes to the wonderful "Diana in Wisconsin" of the Simple Living Discussion Forums. Cook time includes soak time for the oatmeal. I'm sure you could also add about 1/2 cup fruit, raisins or nuts too. These are also vegan, as long as you don't use dairy for the liquid. You can add a Tbs or two of sugar if you want a little sweetness.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups cold coffee or 2 cups cold milk or 2 cups juice or 2 cups cold tea (anything! "Cold" doesn't mean refrigerated, it just means not hot)
- 1 cup applesauce or 1 cup pumpkin puree or 2 smooshed bananas (any fruit pulp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Soak oatmeal in liquid until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add fruit pulp and mix.
- Stir in salt, soda and baking powder.
- Add flour and stir to blend- Don't over stir!
- Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- These freeze well.
This was such a waste! These muffins have a gummy, soggy texture and are flavorless. If that is what the reviews are calling 'moist', they can keep them. Not to mention half of the muffin sticks to the paper liner. I used applesauce, milk and whole wheat flour with some cinnamon. I can't imagine the muffins would be any different using alternate ingredients. They were so disappointing the one time I'd rather not risk another try.
just terrible. i used chai tea and bananas and even added some spices and a bit of sugar based on the recommendations from the comments but it didnt help at all. they have a weird texture (i guess i'd call it gummy. and dense) and no taste. after i tasted the first ones out of the oven and realized how bad they were, i added lots more sugar to the batter yet to go into the oven but all the sugar in the world couldn't save these.
I wish I had reviews before wasting the ingredients to make these. They are horrible. Very dense, rubbery texture. I had added chocolate chips hoping to put them in my kids' lunch but they'll be going in the garbage.