Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
I love cinnamon. When I started my diabetic diet, they told me that cinnamon actually helps the insulin work and promotes health in a diabetic. SO, with that in mind, I started using tons of it. I LOVE it, so that wasn't a problem for me. I use it on lots of food, sweets and savories. This recipe is one of my favorites. I usually cut it in half for myself, but if you're preparing them for a party or a family, you'll want to make the whole batch.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 -4 teaspoons orange juice or 3 -4 teaspoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- Heat oven to 425°F Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup Splenda; mix well.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork or rubber spatula until dry ingredients are moistened. In small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons Splenda with the pecans and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over dough in bowl; gently stir batter to swirl in cinnamon mixture (Do not blend completely.)
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes.
- GLAZE: In small bowl, combine Splenda and enough liquid for desired consistency; mix until smooth. Drizzle over top of warm scones. Serve warm.
These are awesome! I'm pregnant (and diabetic) and was craving cinnamon buns so I was looking for easy recipes to make and this popped up! I love scones too and this is definitely healthy! It definitely put my craving at bay - and I will for sure be making these again! I went ahead and did the glaze with milk - came out great. I'm interested in trying the orange juice one but didn't have any on hand! Thanks for sharing - this was awesome!!